Intellectual development and a love of learning are at the heart of what we offer in our Sixth Form which provides the ideal bridge between the final years at school, higher education and the world beyond.
Students are taught by inspirational subject specialists who are all experienced in teaching up to Oxbridge entrance level and are keen to share their passion for their subjects. Our A Level results consistently outperform local providers and feature highly in the National League tables.
|We offer the following subjects at A Level:
- Art and Design
- English Language
- English Literature
- Further Mathematics
- Government & Politics
- Religious Studies
- Theatre Studies
Bury Grammar School is well known for having one of the highest achieving Sixth Forms in the region. Whilst academic success is extremely important, our teaching staff go beyond the constraints of the A Level courses and aim to instill a love of learning and curiosity that will last a lifetime. We also actively seek to provide our Sixth Formers with the knowledge, skills, confidence and tenacity to make the most of their university studies and professional lives.
There are a wide range of academic opportunities on offer to Sixth Formers to enrich their academic experience and broaden their portfolio of interests:
- The Roger Kay Lectures - We welcome outside speakers from many different walks of life, aiming to inspire a deeper understanding of life beyond academia and to open up important networking opportunities
- The Extended Project Qualification (EPQ) - All students in Lower Sixth will have the opportunity to follow a study skills and research course in preparation for undertaking the formal Extended Project Qualification. Through this the sixth formers become independent thinkers, many of whom have developed a high level of knowledge and expertise in areas of personal interest through their completion of investigative research into an area of their choice
- Oxbridge Preparation Programme - For those considering an application to Cambridge or Oxford, we hold a dedicated Oxbridge interview morning in the Autumn Term. Interested candidates are given sessions within their relevant departments to extend their subject knowledge, support for the wide range of aptitude tests, required by some colleges, is coordinated by our highly experienced ‘Competitive Course Coordinator’ supported by the Head of Careers
- Science in Focus - The group meets regularly throughout the Lower and Upper Sixth to discuss topical scientific and health issues and hosts regular speakers from visiting academics
- Life Skills - As part of the weekly lifeskills program followed by all Sixth Formers visiting speakers from top universities come in to discuss academic issues and to advise on application procedures
- Academic Competitions - Competitions such as the Biology, Languages and UKMT challenge, Maths Olympiads, along with the Sir Rhys Davis mock law trial, the Rotary Public Speaking events and Business initiatives such as Young Enterprise and the ICAEW BASE Competition ensure that there is something for everyone to take part in.